Saturday, August 22, 2009

Hitler!

Hitler! He ruined that mustache for everyone.

I saw Inglorious Basterds. Enjoyed it, but also came at it from a fairly unique perspective. The movie centers on the titular group of soldiers, Jews who fight a guerilla campaign and kill Nazis in occupied France. My father, a Jew who fought in WWII, was sort of a bastard, too. Note the correct spelling there.

My father died in 1996. We never managed to come up with a functional relationship. During his last days in the hospital, he went from gesturing inarticulately into the silence of a morphine coma. I never managed to forgive him and he never managed to express any feeling for me apart from a sort of bemused contempt. We didn't understand each other. He never told me about the war.

Every dark-haired young man in uniform, all eight original Basterds, reminded me of my father. In wartime photos, my father looks like the actors in the Tarnatino movie.

Inglorius. Kind of a bastard. My dad. I'm pretty sure he never scalped any Germans, as they didn't store many of those in New Guinea or Australia. And I still haven't a clue about who he really was.

I'd like to blame Hitler for this, too.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Rebecca. I just wanted to tell you how much I enjoy your writing. The article you did for Salon magazine was so impressive that I posted it on my blog. I hope that's okay. I will edit it and link it to your blog. Sorry to contact you through your comments section, but really wanted to tell you how much I enjoy your talent for writing.

Jean: http://middleofthenightthoughts.blogspot.com

Rebecca Golden said...

Hey, Jean!

Thanks for the support. It's great to hear from people who like my writing. Thanks for adding my work to your blog, too. I'll be sure to check it out.