Thursday, August 20, 2009

Swimmingly

I have a scholarship to the Y. In Toledo, the Jewish Community Center and its giant outdoor pool are part of the Y.

I had a white bikini once. At six. The first and last I'd ever wear. I wore it to the JCC, where I swam in the shallow end with my mother. I grew up swimming at the J. I'd see how long I could stay under water. I'd climb the ladder to the high dive. Sometimes, I'd chicken out and climb back down, but most of the time, I'd leap. I ate malteds from the snack bar. I got lobster red sunburns and golden brown tans. I read books on the chaises longues.

Two years ago, after losing a couple hundred pounds, I returned to the pool at the JCC. I could finally get out of a pool using a ladder, and that meant I could swim laps in the deep end. The first time, I kept the line of my backstroke using a pine tree as a guide. I'd look at the tree to orient myself so that I wouldn't go off center and hit the lane dividers. I swam my first mile that summer, though my left shoulder started to give in the middle of the last full lap.

I got my scholarship letter last week, and am now a member of the Y again. Given the recession, I had to give up membership for about six months. I managed a few swims this summer using a cache of guest passes I managed to assemble from friends and strangers (thank you, Craig's List benefactress). I decided that if I got the scholarship, I'd swim thirty times before the pool closes in the fall.

Three swims down. Twenty seven to go. I almost think I can do it.

4 comments:

Rootietoot said...

Congrats on the scholarship! 27 to go- you can do it!I loved to swim when I was a kid (never owned a bikini tho, too self concious). I wish we had a pool here that wasn't so darn PUBLIC. The idea of being in front of people in a swimsuit terrifies me.

Rebecca Golden said...

When you're six, a bikini isn't a big deal. Mine was a white Pierre Cardin. My mother thought it was cute.

When I was at top weight, the only exercise that made sense to me was swimming and water aerobics. I wore a backless bathing suit with a sports bra under it. My theory was that if I walked out to the pool draped in a towel and got in in under a minute, the water'd cover everything. That was the first week. I realized at some point that people weren't as interested in looking as I thought.

I'm still a hefty girl. I have extra skin on my legs and arms that can only be gotten rid of by a surgeon (which isn't in the budget pretty much ever). I got my first skirtless swimsuit a couple weeks ago. I thought I'd wear some swimshorts over it, but I'm far to lazy for that.

Going out is scary, but try the towel method. Also, come and swim with me. Given how I look in my suit -- pasty, weird chubflesh a-dangle, etc -- no one will look at you if you're next to me :)

My mother rented a duplex in Florida a couple of years ago that had a private pool. Swimming naked is a lot of fun, too. At midnight. Alone.

Rootietoot said...

I love water aerobics, and did them for several years. My favorite part was the 70+ yr old women I did them with (I was 40+-)because they didn't care what everyone else looked like. It was the only exercise I could do that didn't cripple my joints for days afterward. Then we moved here, with only a public pool full of soccer moms doing water aerobics, and no thanks, I'd rather stay home than endure that public humiliation.

Rebecca Golden said...

Awww! I'm sorry that's the only option. Lap swimming on your own might be an idea -- depending on the time of the day. Solo sport, fewer soccer ladies. I'm not a fan of their work, myself.