Monday, August 17, 2009

One clarification...

Someone on Salon accused me of SSDI fraud because I am physically able to clean houses.

It's a strange thing, given how my weight limited me, how physically painful some aspects of weighing over 500 pounds were, but I was awarded disability primarily because of depression. I take medication for it and see a therapist (which I pay for out-of-pocket because that practice doesn't accept Medicaid). My first depression diagnosis came when I was nine years old. I like to think that if I could find a job that offered a living wage and insurance, I could do it. I worry that the more severe depression would come back, despite the medical interventions I accept, and leave me without a job, insurance or any form of on-going income.

Cleaning houses is, at least, something I can schedule myself. SSI also allows additional income, though they will deduct from your cash assistance if you make more than a certain amount. I never have.

More about my private, glamourous writing life. If we had national health care, if I didn't need to rely on my status for insurance, I'd try to have a job, even a bad one. Maybe because I'm not strong enough to ignore the judgement some people throw my way for living on the guv'mint tit.

5 comments:

Wanda L. Anderson said...

I read "Toilet!" and enjoyed your staight forward style. I then read all the comments - which I rarely do. I forwarded the "philosophy or art history" comment and response to my daughter who has a Masters in Art History from Vanderbilt. Then I ordered your book. Amazon.uk website showed they only had 4 copies left - yea!, although there may be some used copies available. The cost with shipping was 14.67 pounds (7.69 + 6.98 shipping). I'm looking forward to reading it. I'm glad to addressed the "SSDI fraud" comment. Hang in there, keep truckin', all those good things. And good luck!

Wanda L. Anderson

Wanda L. Anderson said...

That should have been "I'm glad YOU addressed the "SSDI fraud" comment.

Lainie Petersen said...

Glad to see that you addressed the SSDI comment too, though sorry that you had to. People are remarkably good at making negative assumptions about others, aren't they?

In any case, it was a great piece. Keep up the good work!

Rebecca Golden said...

Thanks!

I hope you enjoy the book and I can't thank you enough for buying a copy. My agent is working on selling it here, too, so I'm hopeful about that as well.

If you're ever in Toledo, I will sign that book :) Or if I get to tour.

Simiabba said...

Sorry you had to address the judgemental remarks about the SSDI - it shouldn't be necessary.

Just piggybacking on previous comments - I too can't wait to get your book (and upcoming one also) and send good vibes for much well-deserved success.

A fellow writer and retail worker in Canada ... :)